What causes excessive belching after drinking?

Here lately I have been experiencing some excessive (in my opinion) belching. I've never had this problem before and as a young woman it is embarrassing. .. It seems to be worse when I drink something, even water. And it gets really bad at night when I lay down to go to sleep. .. Is there anything I can do or can be done to lesson or remedy this problem?
Posted Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to gastric regurgitation Detailed Answer: Dear Ms. XXXXXXX Greetings! Welcome to Healthcare-Magic. I do understand your problem. The belching is due to gastric regurgitation and repeated relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter. I suggest the following to ease your problem. 1. Avoid lying down immediately after consumption of food or fluids. 2. Avoid excessive tea, coffee, carbonated beverages consumption, which provoke relaxation of lower esophageal sphincter. 3. Avoid smoking, alcohol intake in case if you have any habit for next few days. 4. Pantaprazole and domperidone combination, over the counter medication shall be beneficial in reducing the belching to greater extent. 5. Also Antacid containing Simethicone will be hugely beneficial. The above measures along with the medications advised shall surely provide you much needed relief from belching. In case if belching still persists, I would suggest you to meet your Gastroenterologist and schedule Upper GI endoscopy to rule out any abnormalities. Do revert back to me in case if you need further information or clarification on this. I would be glad to support you. Wish you great health. Take care. Best regards, Dr. T. Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD