What causes excess salivation and drooling in children?

Dec 2012

Hi, my daughter who just turned 4 is completely healthy but seems to produce to much saliva and will drool. There is always a wet patch on her chin, clothes and on her sheets at night. She also sprays when she talks. What can be done about it and where does it come from?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: I will like to know when this started Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query, I will be interested in knowing how long has this been going on? Has your daughter been experiencing this condition from birth or it just recently started. Most at times, it could be as a result of an underlying condition which might be congenital or acquired later on in life. The inability to swallow properly could be the cause. They are several causes of excessive salivation/hypersalivation/sialorrhea). Neurologic diseases can be responsible for this kind of condition. So treatment will mostly depend on the cause (if any). If there is no underlying cause found, then your child will have to cope with this situation until she is of age to control this by herself. I recommend you get her to a pediatrician for closer evaluation. Hope this helps and looking forward to hearing from you. Dr. Nsah
Follow-up: What causes excess salivation and drooling in children? 36 minutes later
It started about 12-15 months ago, then eased off and now is worse. She also has problems swallowing certain kinds of foods (esp. pork and beef which she will chew and chew and then just cannot swallow). She's had a referral to be seen in the paediatric clinic but we're looking at 20 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is best to rule out acute infections Detailed Answer: Hello, Given that your daughter appears to be healthy with apparently no other symptoms, it will be best to have a doctor examine her so as to rule out first hand infection of the throat or mouth which could be responsible for difficulty swallowing. Such chronic infections are rare in children but possible. I am afraid, I would not be of much help since I can not examine your child, so you will have to see the pediatrician at the given time so that other possible causes could be ruled out. Normally at her age, she should be drooling less or not at all unless there is an underlying condition that needs to be determined. Hope this helps further. Dr. Nsah