What causes esophagitis and chest pain after taking doxycycline?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I started taking doxycycline 100mg from yesterday for Ureaplasma. Now i am feeling chest pain and esophagitisis. Shall i continue Doxy. medication or stop it
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Advised to stop doxycyclin&change therapy... Detailed Answer: Hi, It is true that esophagitis is one of the side effects of taking doxycycline. I'd suggest to stop this medication and discuss with your doctor to start another therapy with Erythromycin for example. Meanwhile, I advise to take the medicine after the meal and with plenty of water to avoid gastric problems and to take a course with omeprazole while you take antibiotic. All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes esophagitis and chest pain after taking doxycycline? 32 minutes later
The problem is my doctor will be back to the hospital only on 26th XXXXXXX as he is went for some medical camp. For the time being is there any medicine which should i take. I have gone through some web sites says the ulcers will automatically heal after 2-3 days upon stoppage of medicine. Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Advise to consult another doc to the same clinic.. Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. If your doctor is outstation and won't come back until 26th of January, I'd suggest to consult another physician at the clinic you were first visited. I am sure they do have your medical records. According to your medical records, the other physician can prescribe a course with Erythromycin and Omeprazole for stomach complains. Meanwhile, you should stop taking Doxycycline and ask for another appointment on Monday to the clinic you had the first visit. Do not forget to take the antibiotics after meal and with a glass of water. Can have otc antacids together with otc probiotics. Hope it helped! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes esophagitis and chest pain after taking doxycycline? 22 hours later
Hello Doctor, I had been to hospital yesterday and doctor asked me to stop Doxy. He prescribed me 5 days course of Omiz 20 mg tab, Dompy 10mg tab and antacid gel. I started taking the same from yesterday and continued this morning also but no improvement. Should i go to doctor again this evening to ask for any test and shall i cont. with same medicine for few more days.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Sugg.to continue the same therapy... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. It has been only few hours since you started the therapy your doctor's prescribed to you. You'd see improvement within a couple of days. So, I'd suggest to continue the same therapy for few more days. If no improvement within a week, then, should discuss with your doctor to change therapy. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Klerida