What causes esophageal tear?

I swallowed a piece of meat and it got stuck I was able to breath and not in any real pain. I went to the emergency room when the meat had not passed after 24 hours because I was not able to swallow anything including water. they tried relaxing the throat and finaly decided to remove it surgacily I went under anistisa and when I awoke I had this pain in my chest like someone was sitting on it. the nurse said it was from the anistia and it was normal. I went home and the pain felt like it was moving the day after I got home I was concerned because pain was still there I called back in to hospital and asked if air could have gotten into my chest. they told me to come in and after that I found out that there was a tear in the escofigus and the dr said it was there befor the surgery. I don't believe him I was in no pain till after the surgery. then they did all these xray found air in my chest and gave me antibiotics. is this normal for this procedure?
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: If small may be managed conservatively ... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query.I don't know what procedure they had undergone, but esophageal tear is a known complication of esophageal instrumentation especially when undergoing dilatation procedure. But it is less possible in experimental hands. If it is a smaller one, may be managed conservatively with antibiotics, iv nutrition etc. But if larger will need repair because there is chance of acute mediastinitis... Best wishes