Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes erectile dysfunction?

I've been having some trouble with erections, and after doing some research, believe I have "pulled" my Pubococcygeus muscle. My symptoms are: "Slow" erections. Normally I can tell when I am and am not aroused immediately, almost like a switch is being flipped. Now, erections take longer to achieve, and don't get quite as hard as normal without physical contact. Feeling of muscles not functioning. When I flex my kegel area, it feels as if less is occurring. Slightly reduced sensitivity in penis. Although I can still achieve orgasm, my whole penis feels less sensitive, generally. My orgasms also feel less "firm", if that makes any sense. It feels as if a fewer than normal ammount of muscles are involved. Leading up to this problem was what I must say was a period of (frankly) excessive masturbation. There was a feeling of soreness in my pelvic area and that I disregarded, thinking it was harmless, almost like a lactic burn in muscles.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank You for consulting HealthcareMagic! I am really sorry for your problem and can understand your concern. You said that - I have "pulled" my Pubococcygeus muscle and this may be the reason for your problem. Yes, there is chance but very minor possibility. A strained pubococcygeus muscle may certainly cause erection problems to certain extent and if this is the case, you need to go easy on exercises. But, I say that this cannot be confirmed and physical examination is mandatory to assess this. Moreover, by the clinical description you have given, I suspect that there can be a role of anxiety as well in your case. Also, the soreness due to excessive masturbation could also have a contributing factor. In this regard, I suggest to reduce the frequency(not stop) of masturbation, so that the role of this can be ruled out. However, a Physical examination is mandatory to assess this since there are variety of other causes that needs to be ruled out. Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.