What causes erectile dysfunction?

Jun 2014

im a 41 year old male up till about three weeks ago I drank about 75-100 oz of beer a night and was having some ED problems so I went to my Dr. he said that could be the problem he gave me trazadone for sleep plus im taking welbutrin to try and quit smoking, haven't drank a drop since XXXXXXX 13 but now still having ED problems and an almost non existent sex drive can any of those drugs cause these problems
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: ED is due to underlying anxiety Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you to solve your problem. First i would like to tell you few things about erectile dysfunction. Erectile dysfunction can be due to various reason like cardiovascular disease and diabetes, neurological problems, hormonal insufficiencies and drug side effects. In these factors, onset would be gradually and associated with well define cause. Psychological ED occurs due to not getting thoughts or feelings (psychological reasons) rather than physical impossibility. Normally has sudden onset. It is very commonly seen that people face erectile problem after taking heavy drinking. At high dose alcohol act like depressant. Due to this, you did not get erection. Since then you are not getting sufficient erection which is sudden in onset after taking alcohol. This would go more towards psychogenic erectile dysfunction. Welbutrin and trazodone, both are antidepressant and like other antidepressant even they have side effects like decrease sexual desire, but very rare. Trazodone and welbutrin help in improving erectile dysfunction. Trazodone causea priapism which mean it increases erection and welbutrin decrease anxiety that could lead to ED. In your case, these drugs would help to control underline anxiety, which commonly seen in patients of ED. More you become anxious about erection, more you would become tense and more sexual derive would decrease. I think in your case, main reason is underline psychological anxiety rather these drugs. Rest you can consult with your psychiatrist. I think, you would be satisfied with my answer. In case, you need my help, you can connect me. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist