What causes episodic pulsating sensation at below neck base and confusion when having history of panic attack?

hi i sporadically get like a rapid pulsating sensation where my neck meets my chest and it almost like im going to be sick but i know that i'm not,the nearest i would ever say i've felt like this was when i nearly went into a panic attack once when i went scuba diving it also feels like my heart is racing, also i've recently gone from days to nights and since sleeping in the day i sometimes wake get up and my legs are all wobbly and i don't know where i am for a couple of seconds i make my way to the bathroom look in the mirror and my focus isn't there for about 15 seconds. i'm 45 year old male who takes several medicals and pass with flying colors.many thanks XXXXXXX hamson
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You look like having symptoms of panic anxiety Detailed Answer: Hi Samhamson Ler me introduced my self I am Dr(Prof) Narottam Lal XXXXXXX Psychiatrist. I have gone through the details provided by you and I feel it is some thing to do more of psychological problems that is why I am here to take your query It is good that as per your history at age of 45 you have passed all medical examinations Now to your basic queries 1. You get episodic pulsating sensation at base of your neck 2 . You get up from sleep mildly confused say for 30 second or so I hope I have got it right You have past history of panic attack .There is nothing wrong with you physically . SO it comes down to unfounded symptoms without underlying physical cause which occurs in Panic Anxiety .This Is also supported by your past history . If these symptoms are not very frequent and is not causing problems in your day to day work and not very disabiliting ;just relax If it is disabiliting you have to get in touch with a psychistrist who will know what to prescribe and advice psychological treatments The second problem as pointed out at No 2 above this usually happens if a patient get up from middle of dreaming part of sleep which usually is likely to happen during day time sleep I hope you should know that total sleep cycle comprised of non dreaming part called as NERM sleep ( about 70% of total sleep)and Dreaming part called as REM sleep. Both keep on occuring alternately through out slee. Solutions is you just stay on bed for few seconds after you wake up and you will be ok I hope I have addressed all your issues and queries. If you need any further clarification or have related queries please free to ask me and revert back to me I will happy to answer Take life in a joyful sprit and get well soon that I wish to my clients Dr Narottam Lal Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What causes episodic pulsating sensation at below neck base and confusion when having history of panic attack? 20 hours later
hi when i said that i had had a "panic attack" this was partly because when i was a child i had a perforated ear drum so whilst diving in deep water the pressure became unbearable which in turn started to make me breath faster which divers say panicking hence me saying i had this panic attack, this is the only time that anything like the nature of what i'm experiencing now but i would defiantly say i haven't got a history of panic attacks. i'm always a pretty level headed person who doesn't visit doctors and would normally let things take there course. one thing i forgot to mention was six weeks ago i had a medical and the doctor which did the medical said i had a high blood pressure reading although she thought i could of been just the fact that i was having a hgv medical and that was probably the cause however this has never happened before like i say everything normally is first class so to speak.
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 25 hours later
Brief Answer: monitor you BP regularly Detailed Answer: Hi I am back Further I have gone through your latest information My observation that you have past history of anxiety and panic stands withdrawn in view of latest information provided by you I regret The practice in medical field is that once BP is found raised it should be regularly monitored Please get in touch with your GP and he would know what to do Even a person of most strong personality may have occasional anxiety episodes. It is not serious no harm is caused once you know about it you will learn how to handle and relax during episodes If you have any further questions I will be happy to clarify wish you healthy life and do maintain you strong personality Dr Narottam Lal Psychiatrist