What causes epiglottis not to function properly?

ENT Specialist
what causes the flapper that is for swallowing (covering the air way) to start not functioning properly? This happened in the past due to stroke but after therapy and time, it started working. now it seems to have reversed.

can something be done about it?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 36 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The epiglottis (flap) helps direct food away from the airway and into the food pipe during swallowing.

2. After a stroke, the nerves supplying the throat (pharynx), larynx and food pipe (esophagus) may have been affected, interfering with the complex, partly automatic process of swallowing.

3. Get a videolaryngoscopy and barium swallow study done. If you can share the images and video, it will help in locating the problem.

4. FEES (Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing) and FEESST (Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing with Sensory Testing) are newer examination methods, if available.

5. Treatment options may be discussed after these test results are in.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.