What causes enlarged lymph nodes?

Dear doctor I have a lymph nodes in my neck one next to my throat the other in my neck side neck the become smaller and they be big but not large i made a full profile test and a cbc and all of it came normal the wbc and rbc is normal im afraid of them My doctor said its ok about it dont think about it How can i make a test that make me satisfied Thanks
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: FNAB will help in confirmation. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Lymph nodes are part of the of the immune system helps in fighting against infections. They are like police man of our body, it pops out whenever there is ongoing infection in the vicinity and become inflamed or enlarged. It subsides once the infection is controlled. The lymph nodes that you have are most likely reactive lymph nodes.There are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They are normally not palpable. After enlarging during inflammation or infection they rarely regress to their normal size and then can be felt (palpated) but remain no-tender. If it is less than 2 cm in size non tender and is not attached to the skin then it is not worrisome. To confirm this, a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lymph nodes and swollen glands is the best test. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as swollen neck glands are often caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes enlarged lymph nodes? 2 hours later
So is it a reason that i have a cavity on my teeth and having a bad hygin condition?
Brief Answer: Yes. It can be related. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Yes. The cavity in the tooth can cause recurrent infections in the area causing the lymph nodes to pop up in the neck. As soon as the infection subsides these reduce in size. Any malignant lymph node swellings do not reduce in size. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards