What causes enlarged lymph node behind the ear?

hi i just found a small pea sized object behind my right ear its hard and immovable.. i was touching a red mark that i had there when i found it should i be concerned?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lymphnode perhaps.. Detailed Answer: Hi, From your description, it sound like an enlarged lymph node. A solitary enlarged lymph node is not concerning. However if it growing in size and causing pain it would be a good option to get this checked. If you have no clinical symptoms, you can watch the progress of this lump for the next few days. If there are no significant changes (increase in size, redness, pain, fever, ear ache, etc.), it is likely to disappear. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What causes enlarged lymph node behind the ear? 9 minutes later
no its not increasing in size and doesnt hurt, yet i also found a lump in my inner thigh about 5 inches from my groin, my friend says that lymph nodes are not that far down yet im concerned what do you think?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lymph node swelling are common in the groin... Detailed Answer: Hi, Lymph nodes are commonly found enlarged in the groin, armpit and neck. I would be concerned and push for investigation - if the lump is more than 2 cm in size - if plenty of lymph nodes persists for more than 6 weeks in duration - if you notice similar lymph nodes on your neck, armpit and the rest of groin region - if you develop chills, fever, night sweat, weight reduction and low appetite Should your answer be yes to any of these, you can consult a doctor nearby and plan for fine needle aspiration cytology. Hope this helps. You are free to write back for clarifications before closing the discussion. Good luck!!
Follow-up: What causes enlarged lymph node behind the ear? 7 minutes later
yes but you didnt answer my question!! i said its about 5 inches from groin. where exactly is lymph node located in thigh???
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Lymph node vs other possibilities... Detailed Answer: Hi, Apologies for the late reply. Yes, I missed "5 inches below groin" part; but lymphnodes can occur uncommonly at this location too. Lymph nodes are spread across widely throughout the body, however clinically we commonly see enlarged lymphnodes in the neck, armpit and groin. What your friend said isn't true, lymphnodes can be felt in other parts too. Since they are no common in thigh, I would consider other possibilities in my differential diagnosis. They include: - Cysts - Infected follicles - benign tumour such as lipoma / neurofibroma If this lump is quite large, I would order an ultrasound scan to confirm the possibility. If it is not very large and painful, I would wait and watch for a few days before ordering test. Can you be able to send a picture to me? If possible you can upload a good quality picture of both these lumps using the site's uploader. Alternatively you can mail it to YYYY@YYYY with subject as "Attn: Dr. Prasad" We can discuss further. Hope this helps. Best wishes