What causes elevated pulse rate?

I would like to know if my elevated pulse rate is due to inflammation, and if not then what. I took my pulse today, it was 113. I am also experiencing distorted vision and fatigue. This has been for the past 4-5 days. I am a black female, age 66 weight about 180 with history of diabetes and high blood pressure. I am not experiencing shortness of breath. I am taking 500 mg day of metformin and 20/25mg of Lisin?HCTZ. My blood pressure readings and glucose are as follows: 2/19/14 BP 125/78; P 108; glucose 126. 2/20/14 BP 119/67; P 101; glucose 145. 2/24/14 BP 107/75 P 113; glucose 118. I started taking these readings because I thought the dizziness may have been due to either my blood pressure or the diabetes. It was not. The reason I asked this question is because I have had pain in my shoulder for more than a year. I think it may be a pinched nerve.
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Inflammation does increase pulse rate... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted the sequential vital signs. Yes, you seem to have marginal elevated pulse rate which may or may not be normal. If I have to answer your question, yes inflammation does elevate pulse rate. But the question is do you have features of active inflammation? From the details you posted, I don't find any features suggest that you indeed have inflammation. You need to be evaluated for the cause of shoulder pain - it may be from structural causes, a pinched nerve or referred from cervical causes. Active inflammation is unlikely. Therefore if feasible, I suggest that you consult your doctor for clinical examination. If the pulse rate is concerning, he should proceed to investigate you - EKG, hemogram, ESR and thyroid functions are the first set of test that I would order. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards PS: You haven't mentioned if the sugar readings were from random samples / fasting or post prandial blood samples.