What causes elevated liver enzymes ?

My recent blood test revealed the following: SGOT 73; SGPT 109; Alkaline Phosphatase 129, Bilirubin ttl .6. All other results looked great. Within 12 days prior to test, I had several dental appts which included several shots of anasthetic for 2 teeth (root canal) as well as nitrous oxide. I was also on 500 mg 2x daily of Amoxil immediately prior to this test. Could this have influenced the lever results? Female 49/very active/super healthy diet/zero alcohol.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 minutes later
These test reports shouldnt have been affected by the amoxicillin that you had taken.The liver enzymes are slightly higher than normal.Elevated liver enzymes can occur to many reasons mostly due to infection involving the liver,damage,etc.These results are however,not high enough to cause serious problem but need to be monitored.If there is furthur increase ,then you should be tests for hepetitis and also get an ultrasound/mri of the abdomen.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.