What causes elevated heart rate while on Spironolactone?

Question
I recently started taking spironolactone for potassium retention and I have an elevated heart rate. Does lowered blood pressure sometimes cause an elevated heart rate?
Posted Wed, 13 Sep 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lower blood pressure causes an elevated heart rate!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I have reviewed this information fully. A fall in blood pressure is normally compensated for by an increased in heart rate. If there has been a sustained decrease in your blood pressure, then this is the most plausible explanation for the increased heart rate.

However, a heart rate of 80 is not abnormal and well withing the normal values. We really get concerned when rates go beyond 90. I will also appreciate if you can report your previous blood pressure measurements as well. Finally, what is the cause of low potassium and what other disease conditions are you being treated for? Are you on any other medications as well?

I hope this helps and guides. I look forward hearing from you before making definitive remarks and suggestions.