What causes elevated Hba1c levels?

I have just had a Hba1c result of 43mmol/l, (ref range 20-40mmol/l) despite 3 months of very low sucrose /fructose intake ( previous to this diet was not high sugar, but decided I needed to get HbA1c down from its previous 39mmol/l. I have lost 4.5 kilos during this 3 month period, my BMI was 25 at start. I am 52 yr old female, active but not exercising daily. I was disappointed it had gone up, and by so much. What else can I do - I am very keen NOT to end up diabetic,! Thanks for your help.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fasting blood glucose, lifestyle, HBA1c in 3 month Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, HBA1c is a very good measure to follow up how blood glucose over a period of about three months is evolving. There are few components I would love to mention with respect generally to the interpretation of laboratory results. It is important to know if the HbA1c measurement was carried out in the same laboratory or not. I really do not think being at 43 instead of 40, should so much cause any panic. It should however be remembered the actual limits for normal measures, eg, 20 - 40 for HBA1c are usually averages and there are always persons that are normal, but out of these limits. I would strongly suggest you get also done, a simple fasting blood sugar. This shall help in confronting the results of the HBA1c and give a good idea of how your blood sugar is evolving. It is interesting the you have adopted already a very healthy lifestyle, first, being a keen watch over your health, secondly losing weight with a good BMI. These practices, coupled with exercise, healthy diet, low salt diet, less saturated fats should be continued. I do think its time to really bother much. I suggest you get a fasting blood sugar done, and do another HBA1c measurement, preferable in the same laboratory under fairly similar conditions within three months, while maintaining a healthy life style. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain