What causes elevated GGT level?

I have an elevated ggt in my liver function blood test. For many years this was the case on every test, but I stopped all alcohol intake over 12 months ago. It naturally went down to normal, but now is climbing back up again. Ian D.
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: it is non specific Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today. GTT is found in many parts of body, including the kidneys, liver, pancreas, intestine, spleen, heart, brain etc. so GGT alone is nonspecific Increased GGT levels can be seen in many conditions--many liver diseases, Pancreatitis, many cancers, Alcoholism, heart diseases. GGT levels may be increased due to medications also. Smoking may also cause elevated GGT levels. so, if you have no other investigation suggestive of any diseases, no need to worry. donot run after a single investigation which is non specific. Hope this helps and provides answers to your question. If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to ask me again I wish you good health, take care --Dr. Alok