What causes electrical shock-like sensation when suffering from multiple sclerosis?

I have advanced secondary progressive multiple sclerosis. have had the disease for 37yrs. recently i have started getting full body electric shocks approx 5min after falling asleep. do you know what is causing this and is there any way of treating it? Thank you. XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: An anti-epileptic/anti-depressant drug will help Detailed Answer: Hi there, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms suggest progression of the disease, now involving certain part of the cervical cord. This is called Lhermitte's sign which is an electrical shock-like sensation that runs down the back and into the limbs. Between 15-20% of MS patients experience these painful symptoms. You have not mentioned about the current medications for MS. However, addition of an anti-epileptic drug, such as, carbamazepine, or an anti-depressant, such as, Amitriptyline or Clonazepam will reduce/control the symptoms. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with me; may order a repeat MRI of cervical+ lower spine and, prescribe one of the recommended drugs in appropriate doses. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Take care, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal