What causes electrical sensation in hand and fingers?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My fingers of my rt hand feel as though I have had an electrical shock; it is the same on the left hand but not as bad. Initially a shock of pain, and then a lot of time of leftover throbbing, tingling and burning. My two ring fingers have been triggering for a year now. It use to be first thing in the morning but it happens all of the time now and I have to manually pull them straight. Plus my fingers on both hands are curled in the morning when I awaken (even after wearing braces at nite) to the point that I can't use them effectively for awhile for turning on the lamp or things like that. That didn't bother me so much at first but now I can feel my fingers pulling down into a soft fist position all day and have to straighten them. I think I need help.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Electrical sensation in hand seen in multiple scl Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of nerve root there can be electrical sensation in your hand. I will advise you to MRI cervical spine for better diagnosis. Electrical sensation in hand can also be seen in multiple sclerosis, so I will advice for MRI brain and clinical examination from specialist doctor. For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, you can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes electrical sensation in hand and fingers? 35 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I was put on Gabapentin last year and I'm taking 600 mgs at nite currently. I found this medication made me feel much better at first but now I am suffering with pain again as previously described. I also failed to mention this pain is a stabbing pain on the bottom part of my wrist occasionally beginning at the top part of my forearm. I had an MRI last year for MS and other things because of central apnea and all was neg, thank heavens. I'm really not sitting around dreaming up symptoms. This pain is unrelenting and even my husband of 39 yrs is tired of it. I don't blame him. I am seeing my doctor Fri for hopefully steroid shots because of the triggering but also want to know what else to ask him about with this problem, thus my initial e-mail to you.

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below Detailed Answer: Hello again Thats good that you have ruled out MS. Then probability of cervical disc compression to nerve may lead to such symptoms. You can ask your doctor to repeat MRI cervical spine. You can also ask regarding need of EMG-NCV[nerve conduction study] Steroid shot may give improvement for this acute episode of pain. You have taken good amount of dose of gabapentin for long time so there may be resistance/tolerance to gabapentin.You can take other neurotropic medication. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.