What causes electric shock like pain from elbow to head?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi there, I used to play alot of sport, in particularly, soccer, where I had some rough contact over a period of 15 years. 10 years ago while playing I was kicked in my left elbow. Since then, I have been getting pain which feels like an electric shock that goes from my elbow to my head. I've found that lately though it is becoming particularly painful and more frequent, and I am having trouble with my left hand too (this is a problem for me because I am left handed!) What is your advice on what could be wrong? And is there any way I can try to fix it?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Muscular or ligamentous injury Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description , it seems you might developed muscular or ligamentous injury over left elbow. Now after a prolonged period pain is still there ,I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to reveal the soft tissue abnormality. Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain • Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required • Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights. • Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care