What causes early menstruation?

I just turned 41 yrs old and have a 28 day cycle like clock work. Never deviates, except for maybe by a day, once in a while. This month I got my period a full 10 days early. It was my usual full 4 day cycle, though there was little cramping, and few if any blood clots. I did experience some emotional stress at the end of and during my last cycle, and that is the only thing that occurred that was out of the ordinary. I have also been to the gyno recently and had a clean XXXXXXX of health. I am not on any medications of any kind, and am in generally very good health. What could have happened? I can understand 'getting older', but it is such a swift and sudden change?
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Occasional deviations are physiological. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. The cause of the early onset of menstruation in this cycle is most likely to be physiological and no cause for worry. I presume you are not sexually active nor on any contraception. It could be due to the stress you had faced during the last cycle; hormonal causes are most likely to result in such deviations. Ageing can cause menstrual disturbances owing to hormonal imbalances as one enters the peri-menopause, but, you are not as old unless you have a family history of early menopause. During peri-menopause all sorts of deviations are possible ranging from frequent periods, delayed irregular cycles, intermittent spotting, prolonged bleeding and so on. It is a prolonged process and occurs over years as a preparation. As you have already had a complete check up, you need not worry about any organic pathology. All you need is observation to see if this problem recurs during the next cycle and if this is so, get investigated to see if any hormonal imbalance has developed; a trans-vaginal sonogram is also needed. Sudden weight disturbances, stress, general or pelvic infections and certain medications also can lead to menstrual irregularities. Please maintain a healthy weight and a healthy diet. Hope your query has been answered. Please feel free to contact for further clarifications. I will be happy to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Follow-up: What causes early menstruation? 3 minutes later
Actually, I am sexually active but not using any contraception besides 'withdrawal' . Could this have been an early miscarriage or chemical pregnancy? Or is that completely out of the ballpark?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can only be detected through blood test. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. Withdrawal method has a high failure rate and as such an early abortion also has to be excluded. A chemical pregnancy is usually aborted even before a diagnosis can be made. You can get a serum beta-hCG titre estimate done as any pregnancy hormone that is secreted during pregnancy remains in the blood for sometime before getting disintegrated and hence, a positive titre is obtained for quite sometime after an abortion. Hope I have clarified your query. Please get back if you need more information. I will be ready to help. regards, Shanti.V.
Thank you so much. Hopefully things will be back to normal next month!
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Monitoring should be enough. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing again. I think monitoring should be enough and you are sure to see a normal cycle next time in all probability. Wish you good health. Please feel free to contact anytime and I will be available to help. best wishes, Shanti.V.