What causes ear numbness?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, My query is about my ear numbness. Last night, it was all fine and I went to sleep, then all of a sudden in the morning when I woke up- I realised numbness in my left ear and slight pain later in the evening. As far as I remember there is no water exposure or blocking. Tried cleaning with ear buds but no use. Its been the same since 12 hours now. And I dont have any medical history at all. I am a sportsperson, have a slight body pain due to gymming, if thats necessary. Need help. Thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The most common cause for such ear numbness or pain would be an odd position while sleeping or pressure on the ear cartilage after sleeping in the same position for an extended period of time. 2. Other common causes would include: a. Ear wax build-up. b. Ear infections including early herpes zoster oticus (usually with a rash in the ear canal). c. Referred sensations from a large area of the head, neck and beyond (due to common nerve supply). d. Nutritional deficiencies and so on. 3. It is important to get the ear examined if this happens often. Other wise it may be ignored. I must emphasize that a serous cause is unlikely. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.

Follow-up: What causes ear numbness? 0 minute later
Even I think its due to the pressure by sleeping on one side, it will be helpful if I can know, about the duration of this, how long will it take to be normal and what I can do in the same time?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. It should take no more than a couple of days to settle down. 2. If it persists, get the ear examination done. Otherwise no active treatment is necessary. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.