What causes dull pain in upper chest close to the armpit area?

U am 64 year old man in good health. I have since about 24 hours or more an intermittent very dull pain in upper let chest close to the armpit area. have not slept for more than 4-5 hours a night for 4 days because of work and a cough following a cold. I assumed pain is due to either stretching caused by cough or lifting my brief case around by left hand. Have important meetings whole day tomorrow from early morning, thereafter i can rest. i dont sense the pain when i cough. I am generally in good health. Have done a lot of international travel, returning 10 days ago, which brought about cough. Can i just rest and give it time. Have not exercised for 3 weks because of travel.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: After meeting get EKG done. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX In view of your ongoing work related stress , I would first like to rule out cardiac cause. I think you should get a precautionary EKG done sooner. When body undergoes stress or anxiety for more than regular duration at your age, one can experience angina. If possibility of angina is rule out by EKG then you can rest and let it resolve on its own. So ideal would be to get EKG done now.And if that is not possible then after your meeting. Till then avoid smoking , drinking, have someone with you to watch over, over straining yourself physically and try to relax. Take a baby aspirin, just as a precaution. Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards
Follow-up: What causes dull pain in upper chest close to the armpit area? 22 minutes later
the pain is very small. Its late at night and i cannot get ekg without going to emergency room. Never had angina. Is it not sharp pain? I dont have baby aspirin. Can I take 1000- 2000 mg of vitamin c?meeting does not finish till late tomorrow night. Can I wait that long? Could get ekg done after 36 hours?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would not suggest waiting for 36 hours. Detailed Answer: Hello, Angina pain is not always sharp. A ER visit even it proves to precautionary later is justified in your case. No past history of angina doesn't exclude its possibility now. Vitamin C is unlikely to help. If its possible to go to ER now , please go ahead.It always better to take precautionary steps then being sorry. Regards.