What causes dull pain in the upper left side of my rib cage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have a dull pain in the upper left side of my rib cage which sometimes travels around the back upper left side of my back. Do I need to be worried?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: This can be related to smoking. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Due to compression of this nerve root there can be pain in your back and rib This can be related to smoking also. Due to occlusion of vessels are common in smokers leading to pain. Many lung diseases are common in smokers, due to this there can be rib pain. You dont need to worry,but do appropriate investigation. I will advise you to do MRI thoracic spine, HRCT [CHEST] and EMG- NCV [nerve conduction study] For these symptoms analgesic and neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes dull pain in the upper left side of my rib cage? 10 minutes later
Could I possibly have lung cancer? I have no other symptoms like coughing up blood, shortness of breath etc. Since I havent smoked for 25 years & 3 months I hope I don't have this disease. Take care, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility is less Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, As you don't have cough,weight loss possibility of lung cancer is less. As you have left smoking since 25 years so again probability reduces. But you need to just rule out any illness as you are having dull pain on ribs. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.