What causes dull pain in my rectum when suffering from irritable bowel syndrome?

General Surgeon
hello. I am 52 year old, and was diagnosed with the Irritable Bowel Syndrome 7 years ago when my colonoscopy was completely normal (not even a polyp). I even then had some hemorrhoids though. I went several years with no problems, but few months ago my IBS symptoms came back after an extremely stressful period at work. I visited a good GI doctor 4 times in about 2 months, and he examined me thoroughly and gave me full rectal exam. He said everything felt normal, but I do have more hemorrhoids then before. He changed my diet somewhat to more natural fiber and I have pretty normal and regular bowel movements, but almost always it feels as if they are not complete. I do not feel constipated, but sometimes I feel some kind of pressure or faint dull pain in my anus/rectum. He said it is irritation, and said baby zinc cream should help, and cold washing , and not straining. Any additional advice please. I should also mention that I have high anxiety, fear and depression and take Lexapro and Clonopin. Thank you so much in advance,
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Doctor, even the best one, is unable to tell anything about hemorrhoids basing on the physical examination. It is because hemorrhoid is an enlarge vein, which when pressed with the finger, collapses. Your symptoms sound like a hemorrhoids and you ay need surgical removal of them. The other thing is that colonoscopy should be done every 10 years starting from 50, even if there is no symptoms at all. As yours were 7 years ago, and you are over 50, this test seems to be necessary. It will allow to tell about hemorrhoids condition as well. In a meanwhile please try such treatment: - wash your rectum after every stool - have sitz baths with Oak Bark twice a day - use OTC hemorrhoids suppositories - start probiotic intake This should help if hemorrhoids are your main issue. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.