What causes dull aches in head with strage smell and taste sensation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi I have been having dull heaches at the frontal part of the head, with also fatigue and i can keep smelling a funny smell and can taste the smell at the back of my mouth.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. The smell and taste sensations are carried to the brain through special nerves called cranial nerves. The smell is transmitted by the olfactory nerve while taste is transmitted through 3 nerves, the facial nerve (front 2/3), the glossopharyngeal nerve (back 1/3) and vagus nerve (minor amount). If you are having abnormal smell and taste sensations, your cranial nerves must be tested clinically along with the examination of nervous system (including frontal lobe functions). Your neurologist may decide to get an EEG and brain scan (CT or MRI) done. Your symptoms should not be neglected. There are many possibilities that may cause symptoms as you are experiencing. Careful clinical examination and necessary investigations are important in arriving to a diagnosis. Your fatigue can be due to hypothyroid state. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: What causes dull aches in head with strage smell and taste sensation? 48 minutes later
Hi, The smell & taste is like a burning/sicky. My Head fills quite heavy and i feel as though i have less patients and not good with loud noises, I also feel nausous. Regards, Nicola

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in with an update. Taking any particular medication can alter your taste sensation and cause nausea. The other common causes of abnormal taste sensation with nausea may include the following: Bell's palsy Common cold Flu Nasal infection, nasal polyps, sinusitis Pharyngitis and streptococcal throat infection Salivary gland infections The conditions that cause both taste alteration and heaviness in the head includes nasal infection and sinusitis. Therefore your clinical examination must evaluate the possibility of these conditions. The duration and severity of your symptoms is important. At the same time conditions involving the brain must also be ruled out and that requires a through neurological clinical examination. Inability to with stand loud noise and less patience can be due to any problem in the ears or due to stress related anxiety. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Vivek