What causes dry throat and mouth with choking sensation?

ENT Specialist
I have had a dry throat & mouth to the point of a choking like feeling & so dry that water doesn't help @ x's. A tongue culture for yeast came back negative & I have been treated with Nystatin swish & spit x 3 weeks, Diflucan x2 days & stopped because it made it worse, Everclear, Kenalog & H2O swish & spit x7 days which made it worse. I ended up in the ER x3 feeling like I was going to die, and finally the 3rd visit to a different ER they gave me a GI cocktail & 40mg of po Pepcid which helped me get thru the night. Upon f/u to my regular doctor, she prescribed Carafate qid which I make a slurry since it's difficult to swallow, Prilosec 20mg daily, & tums or maalox prn. I've lost 10# in 3 months & only can handle oatmeal or mashed potatoes chased by maalox qid. After I eat I get this foamy type feeling & dry sensation on the R side of my tongue. I have an ENT scope scheduled soon. I have to take 0.5mg tab of Xanax every night just to be able to sleep (4-5 hrs) until I wake up dry again needing to drink. What is the matter with me??
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Reflux with ?nasal obstruction Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Your problem seems to be associated with reflux and many of your symptoms can be explained with that. The dryness part is most likely due to a tendency for mouth breathing as you have given the history of nasal surgery, residual nasal obstruction or post nasal drip can be there post nasal surgery . Please see an ENT as scheduled and the endoscopy will tell about an obstructive part or evidence of Post nasal drip. You are already taking lot of precautions and following dietary restrictions. So, my suggestions are: use a proton pump inhibitor (you are already taking) with a pro kinetic before breakfast. Use an antacid with a local anaesthetic before each meal. Please discus with your doctor regarding the use of a low dose of Amitriptyline which helps in such cases. Otherwise avoid excessive tea, coffee, alcohol, spicy and oily things in food. Do some relaxation exercises along with the exercises you do. Feel free to ask another query. Regards As there is no candida on your tongue, do not worry about that part.
Follow-up: What causes dry throat and mouth with choking sensation? 12 hours later
Will the reflux/dryness go away, or will I have to treat rest of my life?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Lifestyle changes are very important Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Life style changes like de-stressing yourself, dietary changes like avoiding oily spicy and junk food and avoiding tea, coffee, effervescent drinks and alcohol helps. Upper GI endoscopy if it does not reveal any hiatus hernia or similar changes for which intervention is required, taking PPI is the best option. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: What causes dry throat and mouth with choking sensation? 44 hours later
In the meantime, is there anything besides Biotene products that would help with the dry & sore mouth?? When it gets really bad, the right side of my tongue kinda feels numb. Is this caused by reflux?? How long does it take for the Prilosec to work by itself without having to take Maalox thruout the day?? I have added Papaya enzymes to my regimen recently. Is it best to stick to soups, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc. for awhile or what kinds of food would be best?? Also, on top of everything else I have a head cold. Can they still do the scope?? What if I cough or sneeze during scope?? Would that hurt anything?? I really don't want to cancel because it would take another month to get in and I'm miserable.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Scopy does not hurt with cough or sneezing Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Hexidine mouth wash should help with sore mouth and artificial saliva oral sprays are available for dryness if it is very disturbing. Numbness or altered sensation can be because of reflux but usually is because of multiple factors. Prilosec for 3 weeks should be enough for optimum effect. One need not stick to diet as described by you and routine food which everyone else otherwise takes with high fibre content which contains less of spices and oil and tea, coffee should be fine. Do not place so many dietary restrictions. Scopy can be done in slight cold. It does not hurt as the area is locally anaesthetized and coughing sneezing is taken care of. Feel free to ask another query.