What causes dry mouth?

General Surgeon
I have a friend who has been suffering with an abundant amount of mucous in her mouth.Over the past 2 months mucous has become thicker and more yellow in colour. She says it feels rather gritty on the mucosa in her mouth. She has seen her family doctor and her dentist. They say it is a dry mouth but finally her family doctor is referring her to an ENT specialist but has she has heard nothing and that is 2wks. ago.Also on her last visit to her family DR. I told her to take a specimen of the mucous .She did and he through it in the garbage.She has trouble talking due to so much mucous.Needless to say she is becoming very frustrated and discouraged
Posted Wed, 26 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to Xerostomia Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The oral mucosa is maintained moist by the secretion of salivary gland. Majority of secretion is from Parotid and Submandibular salivary gland. The consistency of the secretion is watery and serous. When there is decreased secretion the consistency changes to mucoid and it feels thicker. Following factors could be contributing to the dryness of secretion 1. Decreased intake of water 2. Depression 3. Medication which your friend could possibly be taking for depression or other ailments 4. Autoimmune disorder of the salivary gland which would have caused inflammation of salivary gland and decreased saliva output. Your friend will require thorough reassessment by ENT Surgeon for state of affair of salivary gland and to rule out any oral pathology. In the meantime I would suggest the following which will definitely 1. Water ; ensuring daily intake of 2 to 3 liter of water will be helpful. 2. Chewing sugar candy with 2 drops of fresh lime juice added will stimulate secretion of watery saliva. 3. Gargling the mouth with salime: To a glass of lukewarm water add two spoon of common table salt. Rinsing the mouth will be beneficial. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon