What causes dry mouth?

Dear Doctor, I have had, what i believe, are chronic swollen salivary glands in my mouth. They are positioned on each side in almost exactly the same place and cause me to suffer from dry mouth at night to the extent that my lips stick to my front teeth and tongue to the top of my mouth on one occasion. I was wondering if you could should some light on what might have caused this? it has been persisting for nearly 6 months, is there anything i can do to care it indefinately? or is it something i just have to live with. kind regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be sjogren syndrome Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. Dry mouth or Xerostomia could be due to several reasons. In your case it appears to be chronic.Therefore before suggesting towards its treatment approaches I would like to know few more details from your side. please answer them. 1.Are you taking any medication presently ? 2.Did you have history of recent illness in the past like Chronic diarrhoea,vomiting or fever? 3.Any habits like smoking or mouth breathing? 4 Do you have sore gums or bleeding from the gums? 5.Any symptoms like dryness in eyes? Awaiting response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes dry mouth? 11 minutes later
thanks for your quick response. im not taking medication. The dry mouth has got worse the last couple of days because i have had a cold. The tongue sticking to the top of my mouth only happen yesterday whilst sufffering with cold symptoms. My nose has been blocked so ive been breathing thru my mouth which has obviously made it worse. I did have a mild oral thrush infection about a mouth ago which i took funglis tablets and that looks like it has cleared up. I assume the thrush, dry mouth, and blocked salivary glands are all related? I have not had a recent illness like Chronic diarrhoea,vomiting or fever. even my current cold i have not had a fever just a regular cold which feels like will only last a couple of days. runny nose, sore throat mild cough. No bleeding from the gums but even my gums feel a stickiness that i guess is down to a lack of saliva. I had an eye test last week and i was told i have dry eyes. they dont cause me any discomfort and i do spend far too long looking at computer screens each day so im not sure the two are related. I have started taking anything for the dry eyes because like i say they dont cause me any problems at all. i think thats everything and look forward to your response.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Sjogren's syndrome Detailed Answer: Hello, You are correct, these conditions are related. Though it isn't the absolute possibility (mouth breathing and excessive computer use has resulted in dry mouth and dry eyes), I would definitely evaluate for sjogren's syndrome and try to exclude that. Saliva has anti microbial property, lack of saliva leads to development of infections, also dry mouth predisposes to repeated cold and cough. I urge you to visit a dentist and discuss about it in lines of this syndrome. If they agree too, you should proceed with the necessary investigations. Hope I am clear to you. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you