What causes dpression when suffering from Acute Gastroenteritis

Excellent

Question
I think I suffered food poisoning a few days ago, I submitted all my symptoms and that seems most likely. day one: chills and fever and headache and explosive diarrhea, loss of appetite. also suffered a bout of severe depression that first day which was weird. guess its the body/mind connection. days two-three: watery diarrhea remains, occasional stomach rumbling, loss of appetite and loss of sleep due to these symptoms. All this is not helping my anxiety disorder...
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acute gastro enteritis Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Welcome to XXXXXXX I am Dr Anshul Varshney . I have read your query in detail. I understand your concern. Yes , it seems you had Acute Gastroenteritis (AGE). Depression during an episode of AGE can occur as a result of electrolyte imbalance and also due to ill health. Now , tell me following things : 1. Is your diarrhea persisting? 2. Any pain abdomen? 3. Any blood in stools? 4. Any Fever now? 5. Number of stools per day? 6. Any stickiness in stools? Reply with these so that we can discuss the treatment part. Stay Healthy. Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow-up: What causes dpression when suffering from Acute Gastroenteritis 4 hours later
Now , tell me following things : 1. Is your diarrhea persisting? Day 4: no diarrhea so far, but no normal stool with solids yet. 2. Any pain abdomen? No. 3. Any blood in stools? No. 4. Any Fever now? No. 5. Number of stools per day? About 6? 6. Any stickiness in stools? Not sure, they are not solid. liquid or slushy.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Just Probiotics. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. You replied very nicely to my questions. I appreciate. Probably you had viral diarrhea. You do not require any antibiotics. Your AGE is now resolving. You may take probiotics like Vibact / Lactovit once a day for 3 days and Tab Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day for 3 days. Maintain hydration. I expect your full recovery in next 2-3 days. I hope my answer helps you. If you do not have a further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.

Follow-up: What causes dpression when suffering from Acute Gastroenteritis 18 minutes later
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ANSHUL!! I am a bit weak and shaky due to loss of sleep and need to stay hydrated as you said. I would get gassy as well all through the day and feared going to bed and "wetting" the bed. I have gone through a lot of underwear in a short time! Also loss of appetite. I fear that if I eat anything I will be adding to my intestinal backlog. I am still wondering when the solids will come out, they are obviously still "stuck" higher up in my GI tract. I thought I had had intestinal blockage.

Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 hours later
Brief Answer: You will recover. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. Relax. This doesn't happen that your solid is stucked up in stomach and loose watery stools are coming. This is not intestinal obstruction. You simply hydrate yourself , you may take Oral Rehydration Solution like Electral Powder or you may make a solution of sweet and salty lemon water. Everything will be fine in few days. Start taking high fibre and light soft bland diet. Wish you a speedy recovery.