What causes dizziness?

When I stand up lately I am feeling very unsteady in the head, & feel faint.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Orthostatic hypotension probably, cardiologist consult Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, It is important to note any specific problems you have ever had in the past. Have you ever been diagnosed as having low blood pressure - hypotension?, any notion of previous heart disease? or any family history low blood glucose? These are the main common causes of such sensations you are experiencing. Unsteadiness or feeling as to faint with changes in position is generally called orthostatic hypotension. Normally, the body has reflexes to quickly respond to changes in position and adjust blood supply to the the brain. In some people, and under certain circumstances, this reflex mechanism becomes defective, leading to reduced blood supply to the brain with changes in position. This leaves therefore the feeling you are experiencing. It imperative to get a proper blood pressure measurement. first in a sitting position, and then in a standing position, to see if there are drastic changes in these values with changes in position. A simple chest X ray, and an ECG would be very informative as detecting a possible cause of these problems. Depending on the case, your primary care physician would then orientate you either to a neurologist or a cardiologist for further investigations and testing. It is very probable that this should be orthostatic hypotension. Treating options are diverse ranging from specific physiotherapy manouvres and exercises, to specific drugs. The opinion of your cardiologist in my opinion would be most welcome . Kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Dr Bain