What causes dizziness when suffering from ear infection?

ENT Specialist
I am female 63 have had a left ear problem for 2 years. 3 times a wick was used to break an infection. Not blocked now but odd feeling and some pain with some dizziness...chronic now. Am a social worker under a lot of stress working as a mental health clinician. Was taking cymbalta and experienced very high blood pressure and ended in hospital last year for 2 days...told it was viral. Now on Lovan. Have a history of asthma which is managed.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: more details please. Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, At the outset it does look like you are suffering from ear infection. But i need more details to help you better. Please give me a detailed picture regarding your ear problem. 1) Exact nature of the problem . 2) Details about symptoms and their duration when the 3 wicks were placed. 3) History of ear discharge, hearing loss, dizziness, ringing, any nose symptoms. Awaiting your response, Dr Rajkishori.
Follow-up: What causes dizziness when suffering from ear infection? 36 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Symptoms at present are: at best times = feels like there is something in my ear but not clogged like when in an plane. Constant awareness of feeling like there is something in my ear against my skull, sort of 'full' but no pain at present. 2 days ago after being on the phone for about an hour, I felt that my ear was more full (not blocked) and that night, a pain in my left ear started (sharp pain ongoing)and ended up with really sharp ocassional pain in head (left top side) too painful to brush my hair and felt dizzy but was in bed. So just slept. Pain in head was reduced in the morning. Presently no hearing loss (not blocked) but feels that I have an awareness of a full ear with some slight jaw pain on the left lower jaw. When wicks were used my ear was blocked and the infection did not respond to ear drops. Wicks were successful on each occasion. However, the last drops used after the last wick which didn't seem to work completely as my ear felt clear but full, were made up at the pharmacy and were aluminium and worked, ears have been syringed 3 times prior to the wick insertion. there was little in the ear. Dont need anything at present to unclog the ear. Concern relates to slight pain and sense of fullness which is constant. No discharge, no ringing in ears; some dizziness and balance problem which is exacerbated by my painful knees. I am slightly over my BMI 5 foot 7 inch and 85 kg. Have a lengthy history of rhinitis from allergies and received desensitization needles when I was 22 due to constant infection and cattarah in throat. Was successful and have improved with age. If I get the flu I sometimes end up needing antibiotics. When ear became worse 2 days ago after using the phone with severe stabbing pain in ear and head I became concerned. I now use my right ear on the phone. This ear is better but has started to have a slight tickle in it. Not so concerned about that. My GP is good and has known me for 17 years. I havent been to him for about 8 months - seeing him on Thursday. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer: possible ear infection Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the details, From your symptoms it looks like you have ear infection. Pain in the ear has nothing to do with using phone for a long time. Long time usage of phone can only produce headache and not all the symptoms that you have experienced. It is nothing to worry. For the ear pain you can take any over the counter pain killer like tylenol or ibuprofen after checking the dose. To unclog the ear it is important to open up the eustachian tube that connects your nose to the ear. Instill decongestant nose drops for the same. You can use otrivin or any over the counter nose drops. Instill 3 drops in each nostril 3 times a day for 5 days. Follow it up with steam inhalation every time. If your symptoms persist or get worse in the next 2 days then you may require antibiotics so please consult an ENT to confirm the diagnosis and for antibiotics. Till then do not try to clean your ears and keep your ears dry. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.