What causes dizziness when on BP medication?

my wife (age 72) was presented to the clinic yesterday with blood pressure 180/105. The doctor prescribed lisinopril, immediately 2 x10 mg tablets and one before bedtime(10Mg). This lowered her pressure to 129/79 . last nite she awoke feeling extreme dizziness . she took a glucose tablet and ate some food. After 30-45 minutes she went back to sleep. This morning her pressure was 146/87 at 8:15 a.m. She felt very good this afternoon, however around 9 p.m. tonite she again experienced the dizziness and had to eat since she felt very hungry . she also took a glucose tablet again , assuming it could be low blood sugar. . Her blood pressure was 155/105 during this episode. I took glucose reading ( I am diabetic ) and it seemed within the low end of the normal scale. After taking the lisinopril(10mg) her reading was 155/90 after 45 minutes. Are these symptoms side effects from taking lisinopril? or should we look further? Thanks for your attention. We are snow birds from Canada vacationing in Florida
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: May be the effect of lisinopril Detailed Answer: Dear Sir, Tere are a few reports suggesting that lisinopril may affect the glycemic control in few patients; but is considered a rare side effect of this specially during first month of its use. Since she had it for 2 days, it is likely due to lisinopril. I will advise you to keep a strict watch on sugar levels as you are on vacations and then contact your treating doctor if your problem persists. Take care. Dr. Shruti