What causes dizziness, nausea and sweating after smoking cigar?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I'm not a smoker but occasionally I will smoke a cigar (like one every other month). I smoked one last night and became very sick ( dizzy, nausea, sweats, etc). I started feeling better after a few minutes. But when I woke up this morning I began to feel a dull pain every time I swallowed. Like when the liquid passes that area it rubs something. This happens every time I swallow. It's located just right of the center of my chest. It has persisted all day and continues to bother me even now. It's not a sharp pain. I'm not having any breathing problems and feel fine otherwise. Does this sound like I may have aggravated something related to the cigar? I'm clueless and could use some advice. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: As below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Since you are not a regular smoker, your body is not used to nicotine. So when you smoke a cigar, a large amount of nicotine enters your body which your body may find difficult to handle. I guess you perhaps smoked the cigar faster yesterday or perhaps its nicotine content was higher than your previous ones because dizziness, nausea, sweating etc are all seen in nicotine overdose. The dull pain in the chest is either due to irritation of the muscular lining of the food pipe or due to spasm of food pipe muscles. Smoking can do both. Please do not worry as I do not think it is heart related. But you will need to be very careful. Avoid exposure to any kind of smoke, both active and passive. Also do not take nicotine in any form. Try taking antacids and avoid spicy foods. Avoid medicines like aspirin as these will irritate the food pipe more. Eat while sitting upright and take your last meal at least 2 to 3 hours before going to bed. I expect your symptoms to be gone in a few days, but if you see no improvement in the next couple of days, then please inform your doctor. This may require some tests. I hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: What causes dizziness, nausea and sweating after smoking cigar? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the info. I did smoke it to fast. It was a little concerning because ive never experienced a nicotine overdose. Hopefully the pain when i swallow will go away asap, its very annoying. But from the sound of it its nothing to run to the ER over. Thanks again .
Brief Answer: I agree. Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, I expect the pain to start reducing soon as the irritated mucosa heals. If you see no improvement in a couple of days, then please visit your doctor. I do not think a visit to the ER is needed. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry