What causes disturbed sleep?

Jun 2014

My fiancé keeps waking up from his sleep about every half hour or so complaining he can't stay asleep. When he is awoken he feels dizzy. This has been going on for a week now. He is extremely frustrated now because of lack of sleep all week. He is able to fall back to sleep, but then wakes up again with dizziness. When he gets up and walks around the dizziness goes away. The only thing I can come up with is possible stress and anxiety. He has been out of work and has been stressing a bit about his financial situation. Just wondering if there is something else going on with his body. We both don't like taking meds/sleeping pills, so the only thing he maybe will try is Melatonin. Any ideas what is causing him to keep waking up and what else will help him stay asleep?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow these advises Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for choosing healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would try to help you to solve this problem. I think, he is under stress due to his financial burden. In that case, may be he has underline depression or adjustment problem with the situation. Best treatment in his case is solve the problem that is find a job, but if he is not getting job, till then, he can follow some advises: 1. Avoid stimulant like tea or coffee/smoking at time. 2. Avoid late night watching Television or reading books 3. Try to sleep at fix time. 4. Avoiding checking time if he does not get sleep. That could increase underline anxiety. 5. Can take tab Zolpidem on sos basis. It would not cause any dependence 6. Can do some relaxation exercise like JPMR, that would help to get sleep. 7. Never miss night meal or take good diet at night. I think, you would be satisfied with the answer. In case, you need further help, you can consult me. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: What causes disturbed sleep? 22 minutes later
I see you are a psychiatrist. I thought my question would be answered by a general family doctor or the person shown on my screen (Dr. XXXXXXX Grief). Should I assume then that there is no need to worry of anything physical going on perhaps related to heart/blood pressure, inner ear infection, etc.?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Psychogenic insomnia Detailed Answer: HI This is very common in such situation. When ever a person would be in burden or stress, it would effect his sleep. In that case, cause would be psychological rather than physical. You did not mention any physical complaint in current or past. In that case, chances of sleep disorder due to physical complication are unlikely. I think, you should consult a psychiatrist/psychologist in his case. That would help him to overcome the stress. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist