What causes discomfort in bones and what are the findings from the ANA test?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am so worried dr did ANA test came back 1:160 she think it may be lupus all other Ana test where negative this was homogeneous tiger. What could cause all of this discomfort in my bones. I am also taking rendering for anxiety. Very worried!
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: I can understand your worry. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I can understand your worry.I want to tell you that only about 11-13% of persons with a positive ANA test have lupus and up to 15% of completely healthy people have a positive ANA test. Thus a positive ANA test does not automatically translate into a diagnosis of lupus or any autoimmune or connective tissue disease. The homogeneous (smooth) pattern is found in a variety of connective tissue diseases as well as in patients taking particular drugs such as certain anti-arrhythmics, anti-convulsants or anti-hypertensives. This pattern is also the pattern that is most commonly seen in healthy individuals who have positive ANA tests. So that can mean you might be fine, or you might have an auto-immune disorder or a drug reactions. I would advise you to make a list of your symptoms and when they appear and consult a rheumatologist for proper examination. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care