What causes discharge from my rectum when suffering from COPD and emphysema?

General Surgeon
I am on oxygen & frequently pass out. I just experienced a large watery discharge from my rectum which I didn't realize happened until I saw the evidence in my chair. How could thus happen? I am a 73 year old male just recently diagnosed with copd & emphysema. This discharge is a real mystery! Want to know what could cause clear watery discharge from rectum
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mucus. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Clear liquid watery discharge from the rectum is usually a mucus. Intestinal cells constantly produce it to help with stool passage. When the stools are regular, the mucus us on the surface of it with small amount (so you can not notice it). But when there are constipation, only mucus comes out from the rectum. As you are over the age of 50, such symptom can indicate large intestine issue which needs to be investigated. Colonoscopy is the best way to do that. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.