What causes difficulty in standing and weakness in legs?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
for the last two weeks I have noticed that i have difficulty standing from a sitting position. my legs feel weak and sometimes unsteady. it is also difficult to climb stairs with the same feeling in the legs.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Description below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. From your symptoms it seems that you are having calcium or vitamin D 3 deficiency. Usually application of hot pads can make the movement possible. The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, calcium and vitamin D3 supplements, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy. Right now you can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of your mild symptoms in 3-5 days. You can start with walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening under the guidance of your physiotherapist. A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than your knees. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care