What causes differences in the BP between the two arms?

My friend in sick in the hospital for 5 days with a bacterial infection after a trip to Mexico. HIs blood pressure has been extremely low (60/50) at times and today he complained about the cuff being uncomfortable so they changed arms. HIs blood pressure in the other arm is high/normal. They are now saying he has either a blockage or blood clot. What type of questions should my friend being asking the doctors to make sure they don't miss anything?
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes to difference in BP of the 2 arms... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the medical history of your friend and feel sorry for the situation he is in. The differences in the BP between the 2 arms is normal; but, such huge difference might be related to: - infective endocarditis (as he is curing for bacterial infection) - atherosclerosis of the arm blood vessels - possible thrombosis of the arm veins I'd suggest he should ask the doctors to do: - cardiac echo to exclude endocarditis - doppler ultrasound of the arm to exclude atherosclerosis of the arm blood vessels - and angio Ct of the arm to exclude coarctation of the aorta Hope it answered to your query! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! Dr.Benard