What causes diarrhea,flatulence and stomach pain after taking Cefixime and Azythromycin?
User rating for this question
hello doctor,one week back I had taken 200mg of cefixime and 1gm of azythromycin following unsafe sex to prevent STD's like gonnorhea and chlamydia.from next day of dosage i am experiencing gastrointestinal disturbances like diarrhea,flatulence and stomach pain occasionally. diarrhea is continuing from next day of dosage.its not watery but pasty and semisolid.I am taking lactobacillus tabs from last two days but they are not help.I heard these r the side effects of azythromycin.please help me with problem.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Following suggestion to antibiotic diarrhea... Detailed Answer: Hi, You are right, the GI problems you are experiencing are side effects to the antibiotics you used. Usually, the use of antibiotics is associated with changes in the intestinal flora leading to flatulence and diarrhea. I suggest to: - continue taking probiotics. You have used them for only 2 days, so, more time is needed to re-balance the intestinal flora through probiotics use. - do a culture of stool for candida. Usually, fungal infection is also related to antibiotic use. Depending on the results you may start anti-mycotic therapy. - take plenty of water and over-the-counter ORS to replace fluids and electrolytes lost during diarrhea - take tasectan for diarrhea Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
People also viewed
- What remedies can be used to solve gastric problems
- My fasting blood sugar is 128 please guide me
- What can cause disconfort in rectum
- What is the cause for constant stomach pain after delivery
- Is streptococcus anginosus the cause for my dry lips
- What causes stomach pain after eating food
- Causes of orange discharge from rectum
- What causes stomach pain after consuming beef
- Which doctor should i consult post brain surgery
- Virus cause indigestion gas sternum discomfort
- Rectal suppositories causing orange discharge
- Can i take primolut to regulate my period
- What causes vomiting and stomach pain after eating
- Can food poisoning cause penile discharge
- What causes stomach pain after skipping period