What causes delayed periods?

Mar 2014
hai doc my period is 16 days late and we had unprotected sex. my last period date was 5th january. but i dont show any early pregnency symptoms . i ovulated on 18th XXXXXXX is there any chance of me being pregnent
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, there are chances of pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. If you had unprotected sex and missed your period, the chances of pregnancy are always there. If you ovulated on January 18, the period was expected around 31st January. If you had sex during ovulatory period, and your periods are regular, than you may be pregnant. Symptoms of pregnancy are non specific and may occur in some women while others may not have any symptoms. Symptoms are also absent in cases of missed abortions. Since it is already 16 days past the day of ovulation, I suggest that you get a urine pregnancy test done using the first morning sample of urine to confirm pregnancy. Other causes of missed or delayed periods are stress, PCOD, hormonal issues like thyroid, prolactin etc. The commonest cause in normal regularly menstruating female practising unprotected sex is pregnancy. Hope I was able to help you. Thanks for using Health Care Magic. I would be happy to answer any further queries. Have a nice day. Dr. Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 22 minutes later
what is meant by missed abortion
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: It means that the baby is no longer alive Detailed Answer: Thanks for the follow up question. Missed abortion means that pregnancy occurs but the baby is not alive and is not growing. So symptoms of pregnancy do not occur as the normal hormone levels that were expected to increase during pregnancy and produce symptoms are either decreasing or have decreased. Also sometimes there is a delay in ovulation, so pregnancy occurs later than the expected date. For example if ovulation is delayed by 1 week the pregnancy would be one week smaller. So symptoms and urine tests would be positive one week late than usual although periods are missed. But in your case, you know the date of ovulation so this may not be the reason. I hope that this cleared your query. Thanks for using XXXXXXX I am always there for any further questions and feel free to ask them. Take care and have a good day. Dr Madhuri