What causes delayed periods?

Mar 2016

Hi, My wife is having mensuration cycle of 30-35 days but this time it doesn't come even after 40 days. We haven't done unsafe sex also but my wife is taking cinnamon powder for weight lose, is it a side effect of the same?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: 1) At first, she needs to undergo one home pregnancy test with morning urine sample to clear doubt about pregnancy as she missed her period for 5 days. 2) In absence of pregnancy, hormonal imbalance, Poly Cystic Ovary, mental stress, emotional upset, irregular diet, high prolactin level, over weight, pelvic infection, thyroid disturbance etc can cause late period. In that case, one pelvic ultrasound scan and hormone test will be worthwhile to rule out the underlying cause and confirm the diagnosis. She must consult with her local GYNECOLOGIST after confirming pregnancy. 3) Cinnamon powder is a uterine stimulant in large dose and doesn't cause late period rather than used to induce period. 4) Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. In this case, she may require progesterone pill (like Norethisterone etc) to induce your period after negative pregnancy test. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her doctor. 5) In addition, she would take healthy diet with more green vegetables, drink more water, keep bowel habit regular, avoid mental stress by meditation or yoga, control body weight by regular physical exercise and maintain genital hygiene properly. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish her good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW