What causes delayed periods?

Mar 2013
hi i was wondering if you can help i was meant to come on my period on the 7th of october but still no luck i done a pregnancy test and iy ssid negstive i used to tske the pill but i stopped so has it messed up my periods and im not even getting any signs of my period coming no pains nothing at all
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham -20 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. When have you stopped using the pill ? Also please could you mention your age, and previous menstrual history - did you always have regular periods, any pregnancies or abortions ? Once in a while, a period could be delayed without any reason at all. Stress, tensions, weight gain, change in diet, sleep or climate, travelling, ingestion of medications which affect the hormones, late nights - all this can cause menstrual delay. Conditions such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, hypothyroidism etc can also delay your cycles. If you have irregular cycles, check for pregnancy again after a week or so. IF your cycles were always regular, then you need to consult a gynecologist because you are 3 months overdue ! Please go for - Internal evaluation - per speculum and per vaginum examination Pelvic ultrasound scan Hormonal tests - FSH, LH, TSH, Prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, Free testosterone, lipid profile, Fasting serum insulin. All the best. PLease feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 9 minutes later
im 20 ive had no pregnancys or abortions and before the pill my period eould be a few weeks late but never this long and i stopped taking the pill in september so about 4ish months and nothings really changed in me as a person after i stopped taking my pill i had one normal period i was a week late but it was normal and thats it
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Well, then please have the evaluation as outlined. The most possible cause could be PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome.
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 11 minutes later
whats that can you explain
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: PCOS is a condition characterized by basic hormonal imbalance. The ovary is studded with many small follicles, which look like small cysts, hence the name polycystic ovaries. Due to intrinsic hormonal imbalance, none of these follicles form a mature egg every month. Thus, ovulation is unpredictable, and periods are irregular and often delayed. Women with PCOS might be overweight, have excess hair on the face and body, and suffer from skin pigmentation on the nape of the neck, underarms, thigh creases etc. The hormonal tests that I suggested will confirm this diagnosis. Treatment consists of weight loss, exercise, healthy eating, medications like Metformin. Take care.
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods? 2 minutes later
does this mean i cant get pregnant
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Difficulties in conception can be expected, because the ovulation is unpredictable, but the condition is easily treated with medications that help ovulation. Most women with PCOS go on to have successful pregnancies.