What causes delayed periods with light flow,dark brown clots along with mood swings and fatigue when on Yez flex?

Excellent
Question
Hi there, I'm 19, sexually active and have been on yaz flex for the past year and usually get regular 4-5 day periods a day or two after not taking the pill for the 4-day break. However When it was time for my period it was late a couple of days and was very light and dark brown with clots and did not last very long, then I recently had glandular fever and since my breasts have grown-gone up an entire size, I've been mood swinging, very very tired, and when it was time for my period again it did not come until three days into not taking the pills and when it did come it was the same very light and a dark brown with lots of stringy clots.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly rule out pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi Alli XXXXXXX Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX If you are taking the Yaz pills regularly, without missing any dose then the chances of pregnancy is very very less (failure rate is 0.1%). Even if you have missed a single dose then the failure rate goes up to 9%. Coming back to your symptoms, sometimes pregnancy can also present with similar complaints, so its better to get a urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy. If suppose pregnancy test comes negative, then you need evaluation to rule out other cause like Thyroid function test, clinical-examination per-speculum and PAP smear to rule out any cervical pathology and a scan to rule out uterine pathology. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods with light flow,dark brown clots along with mood swings and fatigue when on Yez flex? 7 hours later
Thank you very much, i just have one more question regarding the pill. Does it effect the failure rate if you do not take it at the exact time each day? I try too but sometimes I take it a couple of hours earlier or later.

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Timining not imporant in combined pills like Yaz. Detailed Answer: Hi Alli XXXXXXX I apologize for the late response; I was away from my computer due to unavoidable reasons. Coming back to your question, taking pills within couple of hours of difference in timings WONT AFFECT the failure rate. Timing of pill is not an important issue in combined pills like Yaz, this is more so important in POPs-i.e progesterone only pills. What is important is not to miss a pill. Even if you forget a pill for today, you need to take 2 pills on next day and continue the other pills as usual. And better to use a barrier contraception for 1 week subsequently. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!