What causes delayed periods with brown discharge?

I had an abortion 7 weeks ago I was 6 weeks 5 days pregnant. I went for my two week follow up and the ultrasound came out clear and the abortion worked. I had the birth control implanon inserted in my arm. I haven't gotten a period but I have had brown discharge for a few weeks now on and off. It is light, not at all heavy. Should I be concerned? I have not had sex since the abortion so I know I am not pregnant.
Posted Wed, 12 Feb 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: There is no reason to be concerned. At the two week visit, at a point where HCG levels were likely only then reaching zero, you were at the very beginning of a cycle. The Implanon is similar to getting a DepoProvera injection. It inhibits ovulation, but during the first few months it is normal to get some breakthrough bleeding. This bleeding comes out as a brownish discharge. I would recommend that you use back up contraception at least during the first month of the implanon. I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods with brown discharge? 2 minutes later
I don't plan on having sex for quite a while my husband just left to Afghanistan a week after my abortio. I am just concerned about the brown spotting. Will it ever stop? Since my implanon stops ovulation I shouldn't expect a period then? I have never dealt with this before. At my two week follow up they said my pregnancy test was very very faint. I did see the endometrial stripe showing the abortion worked as planned. I had clots and bleeding for about a week then light spotting. After that it has just been brown spotting a couple times a week just when I wipe. I took 4 tests after that appointment on my own. They all came negative about 3 weeks ago where it was completely negative. n
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: 1. Yes the bleeding will eventually stop 2. No, you probably won't get a period, but breakthrough bleeding for a few months is normal. 3. It is a good thing that you confirmed a negative pregnancy test Be patient and expect that this is going to get better. If it does not, then a month of a very low dose birth control pill might help to control the bleeding. This you can discuss with your OB/GYN. God bless your husband!!
Thank you so much. You have put my mind at ease. I have been a complete wreck over this and very stressed. Can't wait until this brown spotting has stopped so I can feel better. I have two kids to care for and being stressed over this is not very easy to handle with my husband gone for a while. Once again thank you for this clarity. I thought something was wrong. But it seems like everything is going well then and just expected after what I went through.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are very welcome... Detailed Answer: On the heals of an abortion and starting of a new hormonal contraception, what you are experiencing sounds completely normal. I hope that it improves soon. Good luck to you!