What causes delayed periods when after tubal ligation?

My tubes have been tied for almost 8 years. Now I've missed my period this month and my period was a little abnormal when I last got it.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not every abnormal period means pregnancy. Detailed Answer: No method of birth control is perfect. Even eight your old tubal ligations can fail as the body attempts to heal from the damage caused by the ligation. Fortunately that is a rare event but a negative pregnancy test would be reassuring. If a pregnancy does occur it is far more likely to be a tubal pregnancy which can be XXXXXXX for you. It is important to sort that out. There's no reason to avoid a pregnancy test. More importantly other reasons for abnormal periods need to be considered such as thyroid dysfunction or elevated prolactin. Both of these conditions are treatable with medication and can be determined by a simple blood test. Finally, some women can skip occasionally and not find an explanation. Please have the tests above done by your local clinic. I hope your regular cycles resume soon.
Follow-up: What causes delayed periods when after tubal ligation? 17 minutes later
Thank you very much. I also took two pregnancy test and they both came back negative.
Answered by Dr. Cori Baill 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Doubt you are pregnant, really doubt it. Detailed Answer: If menstrual abnormalities persist check the labs I mentioned above. Thanks, and I hope that I was helpful.