What causes delayed periods after taking morning after pill?

Question
Had a morning after pill on oct 28 and got my period nov 4. Took one in dec 2 and got my period on dec 6. I had a third one in dec26 havent had any bleeding
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 minutes later
Hello, It is not necessary that you would get your periods within few days of taking morning after pill.Sometimes periods may be delayed by few weeks. Since you are taking these pills so frequently,you are bound to get hormonal imbalance resulting in going your menstrual cycle haywire. Relax and wait and watch for two weeks. Consult the doctor if you don't get periods in next 2 weeks. Thanks

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods after taking morning after pill? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the response, Next thursday it will be twoo weeks since i had the pill so i will wait, the effectiveness of the pill may be at risk?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 minutes later
Hello, It is right on your part to wait. I don't think that effectiveness of pill is in doubt. Thanks

Follow-up: What causes delayed periods after taking morning after pill? 2 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor i will let you know any former advance. How long eill it take for my period to be regular? I have usually been very regular up until i had these pills regularly.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello, Although repeated use of morning pills doesn't have any serious side  effects but the fact is that it can definitely mess up with your periods since it contains high dosage of hormones. It is very difficult to predict when you get your periods but the truth is that you will definitely get your periods,but when,can not say. Till you don't get your periods keep checking your pregnancy by getting the repeated pregnancy tests,if you are continuously resorting to unprotected sex. You don't have to worry regarding your periods as they would eventually and definitely come.Keep stress away as stress also delays your period. At last I would want to say is that you should resort to some regular type of contraception method so as to avoid repeat use of morning after pills. Thanks