What causes delay in periods?

Mar 2016

Hello doctor, As per your last suggestion, my wife undergo one home pregnancy test with morning urine sample and the test was negative. What can be done now? Please suggest. Reference query - My wife is having mensuration cycle of 30-35 days but this time it doesn't come even after 40 days. We haven't done unsafe sex also but my wife is taking cinnamon powder for weight lose, is it a side effect of the same?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. FOLLOW THAT. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. On negative pregnancy test, underlying causes of late period could be hormonal imbalance, Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD), mental stress, emotional upset, irregular diet habit, high prolactin level, over weight, pelvic infection, thyroid disturbance etc. In that case, one pelvic ultrasound scan and hormone test like progesterone, thyroid profile, blood prolactin level, LH/ FSH etc will be worthwhile to rule out the underlying cause and confirm the diagnosis. You can consult with her local GYNECOLOGIST for proper guidance of above mentioned tests. Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. Here, she needs to take progesterone pill (like Norethisterone etc) or other hormonal pill to induce her period. Kindly, procure a complete prescription from her doctor. In addition, she would take healthy diet with more green vegetables, drink more water or fluid, keep bowel habit regular, avoid mental stress by meditation or yoga, control body weight by regular physical exercise and maintain genital hygiene properly. These are certainly helpful to maintain healthy life style and regularize her period. Lastly, she would stop Cinnamon powder while she will take hormonal treatment. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish her good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW