What causes decreased GFR after small intestine resection for neuroendocrine carcinoid tumors?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I recently had a small intestine resection for neuroendocrine carcinoid tumors and following the surgery my blood test results were normal except for EGFR NON AFRICAN AMERICAN, which was 57 and normal range is greater than 60. What is the significance of a low reading?
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. This is nothing to worry about. This is just slightly decreased GFR which is expected after such surgical procedures. If you dont have any symptoms, tt doesnt indicate anything and it is usually seen in healthy people of your age. At this point I dont see a reason for any further diagnostic tests or therapy. Just do basic blood test and see urea and creatinine levels. You should just repeat this test in 6-8 weeks and see is there any progression of EGFR. If there is efgr bellow 50,you need some more specific kidney tests. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards