What causes dark urine and pale stool after gallbladder removal?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I had gallbladder removal surgery over a year ago. I have been eating pretty unhealthy for over a year. I have been experiencing the following symptoms for a while..... dark urine, pale coloured stool, body pain, night sweating. Recently I have also been having blood in my stool. Two weeks ago I was very nautious in the middle of the night and threw up a lot. One week ago in the middle of the night I was so nautious I couldn't stand up. I am concerned about my symptoms.
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Causes to dark urine,pale stool after gallbladder Detailed Answer: Hi, The symptoms you are experiencing might be related to: - choledocholithiasis (bile duct stones) - pancreatitis which might be happening after gallbladder removal. I strongly suggest to do: - abdominal ultrasound - urine analysis - blood work - biochemistry testing to further evaluate your health condition. If everything is ok, then, it might be related to post-cholecystectomy syndrome, a common condition in patients who had gallbladder removal. However, you should run the above-mentioned tests first to determine it. With regards to blood in stool, - if it is fresh, pink blood, then, it is related to hemorrhoids (especially if you are experiencing constipation too) - if not fresh, but dark or cherish stool, then, should do a colonoscopy for further evaluation (to find out the upper GI tract bleeding source) Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes dark urine and pale stool after gallbladder removal? 1 hour later
I can get an appointment with my doctor for next week for a check up! Could this be serious? Do I need to see a doctor before next week?

Brief Answer: Wait until next week appointment Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. It is great that you have scheduled an appointment with your doctor for the next week. Your case is not an emergency as far as you have the above-mentioned symptoms. However, if your symptoms will be aggravating, and fever will show up, then, should run immediately to the ER for further assistance. Meanwhile, can wait until the next week appointment! All the best! Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes dark urine and pale stool after gallbladder removal? 2 hours later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 13 hours later
Brief Answer: It was my pleasure to assist you.... Detailed Answer: Hi back Yenny, It was my pleasure to assist you and am glad to know that I was of help! Dr. Klerida