What causes dark spots at injection sites ?

my wife is taking IM injections by a nurse prescribed by doctor for Vitamin B12. She is observing a dark spot (of around 1 inch) where she took her injections. She took injections on buttocks. Is it due to providing injections incorrectly? Is there any actions do we need to take?
Age: 29 years, height 5' 3", weight 65kg
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 1 hour later

The dark spot around the injection site could due to the following reasons:
1. Side effect of Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) injection
2. Improper injection technique

Cyanocobalamin injection are known to produce transient redness followed by hyperpigmentation at the injection site.

Improper injection technique can also cause this condition, particularly when sterile and proper IM injection technique are not followed. This is usually associated with pain and swelling at the injection site.

If there is no pain or swelling at the injection site, I suggest you to leave it as it is. The pigmentation will reduce on its own.

If there is pain or swelling at the injection site give hot fomentation, this will reduce the symptoms.

But if you develop fever, extreme pain and the injection site has become hard, this could suggest the possibility of an infection. For this you will have to consult your doctor for further examination and treatment with antibiotics.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.