What causes dark and swollen dry patch on neck ?

Hello there, Few months back I had a small dry patch on back of nack it seems to be ringworm. So I applied Phintop (terbinafin) but the size of infected area increased so stoped and stared using KZ cream,spreading of infection is stoped but the total area has turned dark and kind of swollen Please suggest some solution Thank you
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Might be allergy to ketaconazole Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I have gone through your query. Dry patch which is responding to KZ cream(Ketoconazole) is most probably a fungal infection like ringworm which you have mentioned. Treatment with KZ cream might result in swelling and blistering(dark colour) of the affected area as adverse effect. There might be some itching. In this case i usually suggest my patients a combination of Clotrimazole and beclomethasone as in Clocip-B ointment. Proper hygiene of the affected area is advised. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: What causes dark and swollen dry patch on neck ? 6 hours later
Thanks Doctor, Thanks for your reply.. As u said there is slight itching. I could get Qupiderm-SF locally. could you please tell how often it should be applied and how long it should used.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Katiyar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can also work. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for the follow-up. Usually skin ointments are applied twice to thrice daily. Fungal infections take long time to subside. Fungus still persists even if symptoms have subsided and skin colour matches with surrounding skin. This is why ointments can be applied for 2-3 weeks after it. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.